I have a confession to make, I have a freezer full of nothing but chicken. This didn’t happen totally by accident, it seems like it’s the one thing that the boys don’t scrunch their faces at. It’s also hubby’s favorite protein. I also stocked up on the chicken last month on one of my many trips to Sam’s Club. There are more easy chicken recipes too. I try to change things up a bit, and tonight I decided to make my mom’s chicken arriabiata recipe. It’s a simple Italian Spicy Sauce. It’s easy to make and delicious too!
Chicken Arrabiata Game Plan
- 2 Cups Dry White Wine or Cooking Wine
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Cloves Garlic - chopped
- 1tsp Oregano
- 1tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 16oz Can of Diced Tomatoes (original or basil works well too)
- 1lb Chicken Breast sliced into half inch strips
- 1lb Penne
- In a large bowl, add the wine, olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, and the chicken.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for thirty minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge.
- In a large skillet heat up 2tbsp of olive oil, when hot enough empty the entirety of the bowl into the skillet.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare a pot to boil for the pasta.
- Let the chicken cook and then reduce for a total of 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook your pasta, drain, and add it to the chicken, toss cook for an additional 5 minutes and serve.
- Adding the wine to the marinade, causes the proteins in the chicken to break down. When the proteins break down, the chicken doesn't dry up. Instead it stays quite tender and juicy, even after 20 minutes of cooking at high heat.
- Cooking the pasta an additional 5 minutes with the chicken, allows the sauce to meld with the pasta.
- You can add any topping you want, in my house we use "Snow Cheese" (Parmesan Cheese).
The longest part of this recipe is the marinating time. Don’t get discouraged by it. You can actually prep this in the morning, and then by the time you’re ready to cook it’ll be even more tender and tastier too.