We just harvested the rest of our green beans (if you’re from the East Coast, I know they’re string beans) and some of our grape tomatoes. I had these beautiful jumbo shrimp just waiting to be used in a delicious, decadent, but healthy meal.
I’m trying to switch the family over to a more European style of eating in hopes that we will lose weight, get more active and overall better our health.
With that in mind I’m going to be doing our “Dinners” for lunch instead.
Using those fresh ingredients I just mentioned, I made a twist on a traditional meal. I made Shrimp Scampi with tomatoes and green beans. To keep it within the “healthy” boundaries, I used gluten free linguini.
The entire dish was so delicious and filling that you’d never guess it was actually healthy.
This is a pretty simple recipe if you know what you’re doing. It took me a total of 30 minutes to make it, but it can take you up to 40 if you’re not experiences with blanching vegetables. I’ll walk you through the process below.
How to Blanche Vegetables
What You’ll Need:
- Pot of boiling water
- Pot with ice water
- Colander or slotted spoon
How to Blanche
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and add your veggies.
- Allow the veggies to boil for no more than 3 minutes
- Drain or spoon out the veggies and place them directly into the ice water
- You are now ready to freeze for preservation or use in a recipe
See? That wasn’t so bad was it?
Now I understand that if you were to Google “Blanching Vegetables,” you would get directions using iron or mesh baskets, triple boilers (I’m exaggerating here – you can laugh) etc. While it is useful to have those materials, I gave you basic steps that have worked for generations.
Here you can see how bright the green beans look:
Shrimp Scampi With Tomatoes and Green Beans
- 1lb Jumbo Shrimp
- 8oz Green Beans - blanched
- 8oz Grape Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2Tbsp EVOO
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1pkg Gluten Free Linguini
- 1 Lemon - Zested
- Cook Pasta according to package directions
- In a large skillet heat the EVOO on medium high heat
- Once it is heated add your garlic and toast to a golden brown
- Add your tomatoes and cook until just soft
- Add your shrimp and cook for 3 minutes until pink and cooked through, but not rubbery
- Add the green beans and toss to mix all ingredients together and cook until beans are heated through
- Remove from heat add Lemon Zest, and Salt&Pepper
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain and toss with the shrimp.
- Top with some Parm or Romano if you'd like.