We’ve all been there. Those days when you want to cook, but you don’t really want to cook. It was like this for me on Friday. My husband and I had a late reservation at The Melting Pot with our friends to celebrate our Anniversary, but we needed to eat something I was thinking some ready-to-go proteins.
On Fridays we like to shop for the weekend and pick up some extra things we may need. So we’re in Kroger and I happened to have a coupon for Hormel Everyday Scratch meats. (Available through 10/30/14. Also check your zipcode.)
I found them in the pre-packaged refigerated meats section. I think I fist pumped (don’t judge the Jersey Girl still in me okay?!) because that meant I didn’t have to braise, or grill any meats, it was already done for me. Allowing made from scratch cooking even easier!
I picked up 2 of the flame seard carnitas and two of the flame seared chicken breasts. I was going to use the carnitas for our lunch and the chicken breast I froze for later use. I constantly have recipes just looming around in my head.
To make this recipe I was going to need peppers, onions, tortillas, Mexican style cheese and a bunch of other ingredients. I wanted to make this from scratch, but I wanted it to be easy, fast, healthy, and delicious!
As soon as I got home, I took everything out of the bags and got to cooking. All I kept hearing was, “Babe, when is lunch gonna be ready?” or (picture thick Italian accent from my mom) “Mari, I’m hungry, I wait for you, you know my sugar go down.” Seriously folks, they couldn’t wait thirty more minutes?!
I put the rice to cook first, I knew it was going to be the one to take the longest to cook. I then chopped up my cilantro and I was ready to go. Oh.Emm.Gee! The smell that permeated through the house was delicious!
In a little less than a half hour I had a complete meal ready to eat. I really did accomplish a Carribean/South of the Border flavor combination with these #NewFromHormel Carnitas!
I love reinventing things, and being part of the #CollectiveBias team definitely allows me to do this.
Check out the full recipe below.
- 1pkg Hormel Every Day Scratch Flame Seared Carnitas
- 1pkg sliced and ready to use fajita mix veggies
- 2 envelopes Goya Sazon
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2Tbsp EVOO
- 1 bunch Cilantro - chopped reserve remaining amount
- 1 Haas Avocado - smashed
- 2Tbsp Cacique Crema
- 1/2 cup Pico mix (diced tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro)
- 1/2 of a lime or 2Tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1pkg Goya Spanish Style Rice (follow directions on package for cooking)
- Follow the instructions on the package for cooking.
- Start the rice first. It will be done at the same time your carnitas and guacamole is done.
- In a large skillet set to medium high, add your EVOO and veggie mix. Sweat them out a little bit.
- Once the onions are translucent add the carnitas. You can slice it up or shred it before adding to the skillet.
- Stir the veggies and carnitas together and then add the Goya Sazon and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let cook for 5-8 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add cilantro.
- Turn the heat off, cover and let stand
- In a medium bowl add the smashed avocado (if you have chunks still, even better), the pico, lime, crema, cilantro, and salt.
- Stir to combine
Hormel came out with two amazing new lines! Everyday Scratch isn’t alone! Oh no! It comes along with the Hormel Hot Sandwich Meat too!
Check it out:
Everyday Scratch includes:
- Rotisserie Style Chicken
- Flame Seared Carnitas
- Flame Seared Chicken Breast
- Fusilli Pomodoro with Grilled Chicken
- 6-Cheese Macaroni with Grilled Chicken
- Roasted Garlic Cheese Risotto with Grilled Chicken
Hormel Hot Sandwich Meat includes:
- Philly Steak
- Tequila Lime Steak
- Tequila Lime Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken
They can all be found at Kroger! Grab yourself a coupon for the Hot Sandwich Meats too!