For the longest time – about seven years now, Chris has ranted and raved about how much he misses the queso dip he could ONLY get in West Texas. I can totally understand his longing and craving for something that is usually found in a region you’ve lived in for so long and loved. He kept talking about Wolf Chili, and here I am like uhm…”Dude, I’ve made homemade chili, Hormel Chili, and even Progresso Chili, and you’re still talking about Wolf Chili!” I was finally able to find it locally and picked up a couple of cans for him. You would have thought that it was Christmas morning the way his face just lit up!
When he saw that I also picked up Velveeta Cheese, green chiles, and Tajin, he nearly jumped for joy. Seriously guys, there’s nothing funnier than seeing a grown man cry over chili. I immediately got to work on his infamous West Texas Queso Dip. It really is easy and takes all of about 15 minutes from start to end. Let’s check it out!
- 1 Can Wolf Chili
- 1/2 Red Onion - Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Chiles - Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Chopped
- 1 Tsp Tajin Seasoning
- 1/2 Block Velveeta Cheese - 1/2 Inch Cubes
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- In a medium skillet set over medium/high heat add your olive oil
- Once the oil is shimmery add your onion and cook until the onion is translucent
- Add the garlic and sautee for 2 minutes
- Add the green chiles and just heat through
- Add the Wolf Chili and stir to combine all ingredients
- Let the chili come to a soft boil while still stirring
- Add the Velveeta cheese and stir until completely melted
- Pour into a tortilla bowl and serve warm
Nothing makes me happier than seeing my hubby happy. The smile on his face and the look in his eyes when he tasted the dip told me that I took him back to 1999 when he tasted this queso for the first time. This is also something great to make for parties, game night, or really just when you want something different to snack on. It is by no means healthy, it’s actually quite rich and loaded with calories, but sometimes diets are meant to be broken right? So the next time you see your hubby checking out the chili aisle pick up some Wolf Chili and the extras and make him this dip – he WILL thank you later!
Check out the video below!
To make the tortilla bowls, I picked up a tortilla bowl maker from the dollar store – no I’m not kidding! You can also flip them on the back of muffin tins to make mini tortilla bowls!