Whenever we get behind our steering wheel, we never think of all the possible things that can happen while we are driving. There’s a myriad of things that can either go wrong, and it is up to us, as drivers to prevent them. Let’s look at the 3 things every car owner should know.
1. What You Should Do When the Check Engine Light Comes On
For many people, the “check engine” light causes a certain amount of anxiety. There are so many things that can trigger the check engine light, it isn’t easy to know how to respond right away. The problem could be severe enough that you should pull over immediately and call a tow truck or it can be as minor as a loose or missing gas cap. Knowing how to respond when the check engine light comes on is important for all drivers.
- If you just put gas in the car, pull over and check to see that the gas cap is in place and tightened properly.
- If not, listen to the engine to see if the light coming on coincided with any unusual noises.
- Note if there are any strange smells or visible smoke.
- Ask yourself if the car’s performance seems impaired or different than usual.
- If none of these other symptoms are present, the problem isn’t likely severe enough that you need to pull over and have the car towed.
- Take your car to your repair shop to have the source of the problem diagnosed.
Please visit Deery Brothers of Iowa City to read the rest of this article.