While browsing the internet and Facebook, I came across this quote, “A step parent is a truly amazing person. They made a choice to love another’s child as their own.” I believe it was found on Daveswordsofwisdom.com. This rung so true in my mind and heart that it literally brought me to tears.
These boys, these three little boys were and are my saving grace. I think I have said it before that when I said “I do” to their dad, I said “I do” to them as well. And so through two sets of parents, being consistent and with open communication, we are all raising 3 boys to become great men.
Here all the things I want my sons to learn throughout their lives.
- Always sing. Sing along to the music, sing without music, sing in the shower or in the rain. Your voices will always brighten up someone’s day, even if it is just yours.
- Always smile and laugh, definitely laugh. Your little boy giggles will only last a short while. I love hearing how it changes each day, each month, and each year.
- It’s okay to cry. Even if it is in public. Crying cleanses the soul, it refreshes you.
- Try, always try, even if you fail. You’ll never learn unless you try, and as I constantly tell you, practice makes perfect.
- Learn to put the toilet seat down, your future wife will thank you – and me.
- Learn to love the kitchen. There are many great male chefs in the world, in fact male chefs rule the world.
- It’s totally cool to love the classics, it’s even cooler that you know all the words to “I Can’t Fight This Feeling Anymore” by R.E.O Speedwagon
- Don’t spend all of your money on a girl or woman. A real woman who cares about you shouldn’t be materialistic.
- Don’t let a girl or woman force you to do anything you don’t want to do. Especially if she promises you something.
- Respect. Respect yourself, your elders, your peers. Before anything learn respect.
Come back next week for the next ten things I want my boys to learn and know.