I’m sure that you believed to have bought your forever car. However, things change, and in a few years, you’ll be thinking about selling it or trading it in so that you can buy a new one. When you go to get a price estimate you realize you should have kept certain things in mind over the past several years to get a better offer on that car.
The truth is, a vehicle’s value depreciates as soon as it’s taken off the dealer’s lot. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t get a decent amount for it. Also, are you planning on trading the vehicle in or are you planning on a private sale? The amount can differ in each scenario. We’ve partnered with Dulles Kia to bring this discussion to light.
Here are a few factors that affect the resale of your car:
- The car brand and make is a great determinant. Contrary to what anyone may tell you, durability always trumps trendy, sleek and flashy.
- Custom made parts are another downfall in a sale because new owners prefer to get a vehicle with parts that won’t cost them an arm and a leg, in the market.
- The color of the car is another determinant. Popular colors that sell well include black, silver and white, as well as other dark colors.
- All wheel drive vs four-wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive? The preference lies with the location in which you’re selling the car. All wheel is great in areas with the occasional snow and rain, four wheel in areas with muddy roads and heavy snow and two-wheel in warmer climate areas.
- Keeping an eye on that mileage. If you know for sure you plan to sell your car down the line, opt for using a rental car for those long road trips. Cars with a lower mileage rake in the extra bucks.
- Intact interiors are important. Even if you have dark upholstery, consider getting a car seat cover and additional floor mats to protect the original upholstery and mats.
- Protect the exterior body. Park a little way away from cars in compact parking spots to avoid those bumps, nicks, and scratches. It’s also a smart idea to hold back on too many bumper stickers too!
- Additional safety features are always a plus factor.
- If you have technology upgrades in the car, ensure they’re in mint working condition.
- Good mechanical condition of a car bumps up the value of a car. Ensure you service your car regularly to ensure this is possible. All these factors will help bring in a resale offer for your car, that you will find hard to resist!